Highly Professional Auto Accident Attorney Serves Plano, Texas
Knowledgeable counsel focused on positive results
The Dallas–Fort Worth metropolitan area has some of the worst traffic in Texas. Whether you drive I-75, the Dallas North Tollway, the Bush Turnpike, or any of the busy surface streets, you know how easily accidents happen. Frustrated and aggressive drivers, careless distracted drivers, drunk drivers, and drowsy drivers are the leading contributors to serious injury accidents in and around Plano. If you are hurt, you can rely on the Law Offices of Kevan I. Benkowitz to manage your injury claim professionally and effectively. We draw on more than 15 years of litigation experience to pursue the full extent of compensation you rightfully deserve.
How car accident cases work
Texas is a fault state for the purposes of auto insurance, so an injured party must prove that another driver caused the accident. But even though proof is “by a preponderance of the evidence” and not “beyond a reasonable doubt,” this is not always an easy case to make. In addition to proving fault, you also have to prove the extent of your injuries and a direct line of causation between the crash and the harm you suffered.
You can submit a claim to the other driver’s insurance company, but the company has promised to defend that driver and may not be satisfied with the proof you offer. The company could start off with a lowball settlement offer or deny your claim outright. At that point, your choices are continued negotiation with the insurance company, from a decidedly weak position, or to file a lawsuit.
A better approach is to retain a personal injury attorney immediately and let a professional manage your case. This sends a strong signal to the insurance company that their tactics aren’t going to work. Your case may move forward quicker, and you almost certainly will get substantially more compensation as a result.
What to do after an accident in Plano to help your personal injury case
If you’re involved in a car accident, trucking accident or motorcycle accident, your first concern is for your safety and those of your passengers. But once you’ve gotten yourself and your vehicle out of traffic and have rendered first aid, there are things you can do to strengthen your case for the future:
- Call the police — Police should respond to any accident where there has been an injury. A police report can be very useful in establishing fault for the accident, so be sure to ask how you can obtain a copy of the report. The police are also necessary if you suspect the driver has been drinking or abusing drugs or is simply belligerent or uncooperative.
- Exchange information with the other driver — You need to know the identity of the driver who hit you and the identity of the owner of the vehicle. You need to know if the driver is insured and with what company so you can file a claim.
- Get contact information from witnesses — If anyone stops to help, get their contact information, especially if they actually witnessed the crash. Your attorney can follow up later to get a sworn statement on record.
- Take photos — Use a cellphone to take pictures of the vehicles involved, the accident scene and any injuries anyone has suffered. If the other driver is walking around, apparently unharmed, you can document that with video to head off a counter suit.
- Get immediate medical treatment — You may not find it necessary to call an ambulance, but you should go to the emergency room and get checked out. Adrenaline can mask an injury, so you may not feel pain until several hours have passed. But unless you get your injuries documented right away, a defendant can claim that an intervening cause is responsible.
When you’ve taken care of all your immediate concerns, call us to schedule a free consultation.
Contact our Plano, TX law firm for a free auto accident consultation
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motor vehicle accident, the Law Offices of Kevan I. Benkowitz is ready and able to help. We offer free consultations for accident victims, and we’ll even come to your hospital room if necessary. Call us at 972-464-2645 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.